Irish Artist Yelpy
posted November 19th, 2012
Today we are posting our first ever musician submission here
on Paper Aquarium Magazine.
"I was born in Dublin, Ireland. I remember around my 15th birthday my dad and
I were in a music shop getting my sister a keyboard and my dad asked me,
completely out of the blue: 'how would you like a guitar for your birthday?'.
Until that moment I had never given music much thought, but little did either
of us know that music would become my life's one true passion."
"I played that first guitar morning, noon and night and within a year I was
forming my first rock band called Awakened. We played quite a lot together all
through my school years. In fact playing music was the only thing that kept me
sane as school was never really my thing."
"When I left school I started college but being me I didn't just go to any old
college, instead I went to the Ballyfermot Rock School in Dublin. I met loads
of great like minded people there and also formed my second band named Whover
pronounced WHO-VER). Whover was a great experience. We played all around Ireland,
on radio and on TV. It gave me my first real taste of being a 'rock star' and I
loved it. While in Whover I worked with three of the most talented musicians I
have ever know. They taught me a lot."
"As Whover was running it's course I started playing more & more with my two
sisters untill finally we decided to make it official and form Yellow Room.
As Yellow Room we played all around Ireland and on radio. We got to play with
some great Irish talent such as John Spillane, Brian Downey, Maria Doyle Kennedy,
The Revs and Mickey Joe Heart. We also released two albums "Outside" and "Yellow
Room". After the second album I decided to peruse a solo career as a
singer/songwriter and move to LA."
"Currently I am preforming in LA in such venues as The Roxy, The Viper Room,
The House Of Blues and The Rolling Stone whilst recording my debut solo album.
Being based in LA has also given me the opportunity to write and produce music
for film and TV."
Additional Yelpy information:
- played with Liam O'Maonlai (lead singer/frontman of "The Hothouse Flowers")
- grew up rehearsing in the same studios as The Corrs & Van Morrison among others
- recorded in the same studios as The Corrs & Van Morrison among others
- was featured on RTE (Irish National TV Station) on "Echo Island"
- was featured on joint BBC (UK) & RTE (Ireland) TV show "Let Me Entertain You"
judges on that show were Keith Duffy of "Boyzone" and Louis Walsh (manager of
Boyzone & Westlife at the time)
- wrote a song for Irish radio (Raidio na Gaeltachta) named "Caipin Ban"
- number one song on Dublin radio station FM104 with "Ginger Coloured Yellow Man"
- album "Outside" released in Tower Records
- album "Yellow Room" released in HMV & online iTunes, Amazon etc...
- played live in Tower Records
- featured on Dublin's hit radio station Today FM with song "The One"
- played live on Dublin radio: Newstalk, Phantom FM, Phoenix FM
Be sure to check out Yelpy's website below:
Yelpy's Website | Yelpy's Youtube